RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Well worded. What exactly is your clout in regards to the AMA?
We are seeking solutions for this ongoing problem, others see it as not a problem, UNTIL something happens, which has numerous times according to the news articles. We can not simply put our heads in the Sand, hoping it will go away, it will not.
People here do not want more regulations in the RC community, but in my opinion, this problem open up a new box of problems, which we have not had for many years until now.
Yes, there needs to be Very Strict Regulations in operating drones, FPV, UAv's, but especially Drones, which are so popular now.

#1.When a person buys one of these, he must show Proof of AMA Membership. These proposed rules shall be forwarded by the company selling the aircraft, and will be kept on file with the AMA.

#2 He must take a written test in Safe operation of the aircraft and know the Laws pertaining to it's use.
#3.Must show proof of Homeowners Insurance.
#4.Must have previous flying experience in RC and explain written proof.
#5 Not hold the AMA responsible for unsafe operation of the aircraft, accept full responsibility of it's use, in a written statement and a copy to be held by the AMA of the document.
#6. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport.
#7 Do not endanger people aboard any aircraft,
#8 Do not fly this aircraft above 400 FT. AGL.

The individual signing this document then puts himself in the jurisdiction of the courts.

These are just a few suggestions I am offering. Will they pass through the AMA?, so if something doe's happen, we all don't get punished for the careless actions of a few.
The beauty (imo) of being a member of the AMA is that we all have the same amount of "clout" (lol...does anyone really have clout?) Each person can have their say in the matter, and more importantly put that action into words which I think is more powerful. Say, then do. I';m a member of a club that has as safety officer. At every monthly meeting he reiterates that every member is their own safety committee. If they see a problem, then are able to deal with it on behalf of the club. Also, keep in mind one doesn't have to be in the AMA to do these things. There are plenty of folks who don't belong to the AMA, and have no intention of joining for a multitude of reasons. Many of them might be flying the simple set ups, as well as more costly and complicated ones. They can still promote the same common sense, and safety focused message that any of us can.

As to your other points, I feel almost the same about making something mandatory as I do banning something. I totally get your thought process which seems to come from a place of "safety". Some of your measures would carry additional costs (testing, h/o insurance, AMA membership). Not that I think the AMA would mind new members, but I wonder how many of those folks would keep there membership after they got their "ticket". Keep i mind it's not just multirotors that are doing the FPV things, planks were doing that far earlier than multi rotors were. And the components cane be purchased separately and then built. Someone earlier said if there is away around something someone will find it. Totally agree about the courts and jurisdication, and the earlier comments from my fellow nutmegger rgmburill...let the courts at 'em. Have a nice $10,000 fine and a possible jail term facing you before you pop that aircraft up for some great footage. Wouldn't stop everyone but even if it stopped a few...good deal.