RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pz IV Ausf G DAK Build
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:31 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More progress on wiring the tank. Actually, I’ve finished the wiring setup. In a nutshell, the setup includes:

- UV LED in turret to “charge” glow-in-the-dark airsoft BBs.
- JST plugs to make it easy to separate the parts
- 360[SUP]o[/SUP] turret using a ½" slip ring (12-wire)

Discussion:
UV LED in the turret. I basically did the same thing that Perry S. did with his setup (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...rsoft-bbs.html). My only challenge is that the LEDs don’t seem to be working. I’m not sure if I’m not supplying enough voltage or if they’re defective. I have new LEDs coming from an eBay vendor that tested them using 3V batteries; so, they should work on my 3.1V circuit. But, I installed everything so that I could get the rest done.

JST plugs. I used two sizes for this. Inside the turret, I used two sets of 3-pin miniature plugs. One set for the LED circuit and one set for the gun-and-elevation circuit. Soldering these to the slip ring’s wiring was a challenge because they’re so small. But, the slip ring’s thin wiring helped to make it a little easier. Be careful to note the color scheme (each wire has a different color or shade of color) so that you don’t cross circuits. Label bundles as you go. The 8-pin plug with side plugs came from Aliexpress. It’s an awesome piece of gear. Note that you need to order the right plug setup or it might come without the 3-pin plug for the LEDs. The pictures are the same for all tanks; so, ask. They were responsive when I had questions afterwards. Fortunately, after Erik let it out that they use JST-XH plugs for Taigen/HL, I ordered about 10 male/female sets (one side has pig tails). So, I already had some 3-pin plugs on hand that go into the board (no pig tails on this side...is the the male or female?) Just be careful soldering them to the board. Best way is to use the soldering iron to pull the solder away from the small holes in the board where the plug goes. Then solder the plug to the board. The 3-point junction board I used in the turret wasn’t absolutely necessary, but it made it easier to solder things together, especially since the LEDs all share a common positive and I figure I will probably have to replace the LED later. You could just go straight to soldering wires in a 3-way setup. I’m still working my soldering skills; so, this was easier.

360-degree turret. I always wanted one of these. I saw several innovative ways of doing it a few years ago, but couldn’t replicate it. Then, I finally saw Max-U52's video on how he installed Taigen’s setup. I figured I could do that. I used a 12-wire setup because I couldn’t find an 8-wire setup. I needed 3 wires for the LEDs, 3 for the gun and elevation, and 2 for the airsoft gun sound-and-recoil trigger. If you have an antenna in or on the turret, you would need an additional wire. I don’t know how many, if any additional wires going into the turret will be needed with Taigen’s recoiling airsoft gun, but I have room for growth. (Note: Taigen’s setup wouldn’t work because they only provide 7 wires on the slip ring for the setup that supports airsoft and a turret machine gun.) I glued the slip ring into the rotation ring and drilled a ½" hole behind it in the turret floor. The rotation ring’s were made by mating another rotation ring to it and filing out the teeth. It looks a little crude, but the rotation motor and gearbox didn’t seem to notice.

Watch it in action:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2101801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	2101802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2101803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	2101804  

Last edited by philipat; 02-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.