RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky Ilya Muromets CG
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Sal C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikorsky Ilya Muromets CG

Gentlemen.

Igor Sikorsky was an important figure in aeronautics. From the early days of designing fixed wing aircraft in Imperial Russia to his highly successful flying boats and Helicopter designs his namesake company still manufactures, there's no doubt about the mark he has left in Aviation History.
I am working on a very large model of one of his early four engine designs, the Ilya Muromets. This aircraft has made many "Firsts" , such as the first 4 engine transport, first to have heated cabin with electricity and toilet. First to carry 16 passengers aloft. This all took place in 1913!
When WW1 began, he was asked to convert his large aircraft into a Reconnaissance and Bomber aircraft. I am building a 1/6 version of the VEH type Bomber.
I imagine that one of the many attributes that scare off modelers is the very short nose. It just does not look like the aircraft can be balanced correctly.
I was sent this document from someone in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was found in a Russian book that talks about the CG on the Muromets. Evidently, the CG is on the trailing edge of the aircraft's wing.
Can anyone translate or add to this?
Thanks, Sal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	im_gc.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2102018   Click image for larger version

Name:	ilya29.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	2102019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilya Muromets.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	2102022  

Last edited by Sal C.; 06-11-2015 at 01:08 PM.