RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
Back in 2008 I got all of the stencils and spray masks for this build.

They have been sitting in a box ever since. Now I finally dragged them out and tried to apply the "hailess joe" image on the cowl yesterday without any luck. These are waterslide decals and when immersed in water the ink started to run and it crinkled up. I was supplied with 4 decals and tried 3, all of them stuffed up.

Perhaps these things have a shelf life? Has been 7 years after all.

I'll send supplier an email and see what they say.
Nope, they shouldn't have that short a shelf life at all. I have used commercial decal sheets (on plastic models that is) that were 15+ years old without a problem. well, at least not an age of product problem anyways. If the ink started to run, then that's the first indication that they clear they put on didn't cover the surface properly to start with.

Commercial decal makers use laser jet printing or even better screen printed for the colours. These will not run when wet with water. If the decal inks start to run like yours have, they were more than likely printed with a normal home inkjet printer. They can work ok, but you have to spray a clear coat over them to make sure that the water does not touch the ink for reasons already mentioned. I print my own at home because they are relatively cheap to make, i.e. about $1 an A4 sheet of decal paper, and then a few light coats of a clear spray bomb. if you paid good $$ for them, I would be a little annoyed. I have been burnt in the past which is why I do nearly all my own markings decals etc at home now.

Also, can't see from the pic there pete, but is the area where you are trying to apply the decal gloss cleared? and I mean a really glossy finish? water slides will not adhere to matt finished surfaces at all, and will tend to tear as you try to position them into position.

The correct way to work with water slide decals is,

1: Gloss clear the entire model if you applying a whole heap of them all over the place, or just the areas that they are going onto if it;s just one or two.
2: Apply decal onto the area once your clear is properly dry.
3: For best results gloss clear over them once they have all been applied.
4: Clear in the finish sheen level required for the model. i.e. matt clear for warbirds.

Thanks

Dave