RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Gun?
Thread: Top Gun?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 06:25 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been so much speculation of what Top Gun is, was and is going to be. In all that discussion, the only thing that has been mentioned that one could consider dead true is that it is a monumental undertaking! As for thoughts about what the intentions were and now are, I offer this: Top Gun absolutely WAS originally a "Builders" competition. But like any competition, if it is to continue the rules must be respectful of the times. When it became obvious that young men were not entering the hobby we geared TG for those who would still stay involved as they matured. That was the primary reason for introducing Pro-Am and Unlimited. In all fairness to the event, adding those classes have worked! Last year we had to turn away over a dozen prospects because we can only fly so many people per day; in other words, the classes were full. However, while we can fly 110 contestants, and did, we are sorry to see that most of them are in the Pro-Am classes, one where you do NOT have to build your own airplane.However, the quality of airplane in Pro-Am is incredible, everyone wants to outdo the other. That is a good thing!! With young men favoring other hobbies, we will never see the number of "builders" increase, so all we can hope for is that the ones who can, and want to, build, remain dedicated. Only time will tell. For now, Top Gun is a monumental success in what it does in creating business for the market place, like magazine sales, DVD sales, Hobby shop sales, on line airplane and accessory sales etc. I hope to continue it, doing whatever it takes to keep it fresh, for as long a I am able to.