RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need engine for my Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's flying

Ok so got the Spitfire all competed. Needed almost 3lbs lead in nose, which seems to be about average. The engine started right up and carefully following the break in procedure per instructions. Plane flys easy, takes off in a realitively short run and that's with the engine still less than fully power break in. Flew it last weekend at CARDS Warebird flyIn and even with 8-10 mph cross winds it's well behaved. The aileron throws per instructions are to docile IMO so dialed them up. It's fast and even with the engine only at about 70% rpm I had no problem laping a few others.
The electric retracts working fine, except one of the oleo struts compressed and locked in the up position. This was due to the gear door attachment compressing the strut and the oleo get wedged inside the strut when it compressed.. The strut side wall is to thin and gets deformed by the set screw of the wheel cover attachment bracket. If it happens again will send the strut back to Hanger 9.
Its a nice looking and well behaved War Bird. A little on the small side but that made it easy to load in my trailer with 4 other much larger war birds.
Will try to upload some pics.