RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Gun?
Thread: Top Gun?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 08:42 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Levi it just my opinion but I don't agree here. To say a sm f-16 holds up to a scale-jets f-16 or a sm a-10 compares to a mibo a-10 is mind blowing. I do understand you can get a gel coat version and detail the heck out of it but normally things are still not to scale as in measurements. Good discussion I have wondered what these events were about.
Fender,
Building a flying model is simple. Building an Accurate Scale Flying model is not. Building the airframe is really only about 20% of the wok. While i agree with your comparisons of models being no where near the same in accuracy, the realization is the "kit" is only a small part of the entire process.

Some guys will spend years researching and collecting documentation on the specific subject they have chosen. This is probably one of the largest parts of building a scale model.
Then they will build the airframe to match the documentation as closely as possible. For composite models, this could mean major surgery or making entirely new parts.
Then they spent more time getting all of the details done, painting, nomenclature, etc. this isnt a simple "that looks good". The top guys will literally measure the real airplane and shrink it down and get it placed Exactly where it needs to be.

So if someone is serious about competing with a XX brand "kit" in gelcoat, they may put in way more effort than someone who has the money to buy a scale jets or mibo or whatever accurate "kit". Just because they start with something that may be considered an Arf, doesnt necessarily mean they put less effort and came with a poorer quality model.