RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Gun?
Thread: Top Gun?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Scale is all about matching 3 views and not necessarily an actual airplane. Many of the designs (especially the war years) are hard to pin down. So unless you actually have a real example to duplicate, you are creating an artists impression. This especially holds true with colors.

A perfect example is the JU 87 Stuka. It is almost impossible to find a 3-view that shows straight ailerons. The real airplane had straight ailerons. So in competition, you have to match your 3-view, even though it does not match the real aircraft. Not that this is a big deal. but I see a lot of discussion about what is and is not scale. It does not matter really as long as your model duplicates the docs. That is what is getting judged.
Interesting you pick on a Ju87. You may not be aware of the super scale model being made in Germany at the moment.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ruktion/page16

It is impossible from the photos to distinguish it from the real thing as shown in the numerous wartime photos. The model will be powered by a V12 ic engine and looks one of the best scale flying model yet made. Have a look at the detail if you do not believe me. 2 full size original planes survive and I would have thought that this would be one of the best documented WW2 planes. If you were entering as a scratch built model for Masters then a visit to Wisconsin and maybe London be necessary to obtain the correct photos and documentation. I would guess that the original German WW2 drawings survive somewhere.

John

John

Last edited by Jgwright; 06-14-2015 at 10:59 AM.