RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the graphics info.

Second maiden today, now in paint.
So! Please take it from me; do not build fly then take apart paint and then re-assemble and fly a plane, its a long road and it sucks!!! Causes plenty of issues with paint and finish. I knew this but I didnt want to risk a fully finished plane like this one. Next time, just finish it, fly it, what happens, happens.

Flew today with the new engine updated to clockwise rotation. Its a trip to start, pilots right engine turns CCW and the left is CW. So flipping by hand means turning the props to the outside.
On the runway as power comes up it tracks very straight making it easy but this plane likes to head into the wind. Crosswind take offs means it will be sensitive and try to weathervane a bit.

I took it up and let it run. We had variable high winds but this plane handles the wind very well. I did learn it takes quite a bit of cross control with rudder and aileron. I played up high in the wind for a bit with rudder turns. Some zooming passes with the wind and into the wind and then a few rolls. I made a fast pass low then up at a 45 on power into the wind and it just climbed out very fast. So cool, roll over the top nice and slow.

Landing was easy too. One circuit gear down and into the wind and it slows way down quickly without flaps. It touched down with a little flare no dramas. The struts with their long travel are awesome. Love how the plane settles.

Im very pleased with how its come together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2102946