RCU Forums - View Single Post - I'm a raw beginner... with a project
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I'm actually going to disagree about building a kit for the trainer. Not that I'm against building, but because of the time of year that it is. Most clubs have their training times during the summer, usually ending when DST ends. If the OP starts building a kit trainer now, he'll probably finish in August and may need to do some tweaking once an instructor has checked it out, putting him actually ready to fly it just about when training is over for the year. An ARF can be assembled and ready to fly in a weekend, allowing him a lot more time to work with an instructor.

I'll agree first with loopdeeloop though. Visit the clubs first. Each club has its own personality, so you want to get started with a group that you like to be around. How welcoming they are to a newbie tells you a lot. If you walk up and half a dozen guys look at you from the corner of their eyes and say nothing to you then a club officer puts forth an effort to welcome you awkwardly, that's a clue that the club is contentious and unhelpful. But if everyone you meet seems genuinely interested in you and willing to take some time to answer your questions and show you around, that's the one to join. Either way, find out what the training times are and what you need to do. Many instructors keep a trainer on hand to help new pilots, so you could possibly get your first flight in this week. Some clubs might ask you to provide fuel or bring your own buddy box. Some might require you to buy all of your equipment first and join before being instructed. Whatever the expectation is though, you need to know it before you do anything else.
I have never had a student buy anything except there own fuel. I supply everything else and a student doesn't really know what to buy or what brands they may want in the future.
I find it odd that no one at allmodes club has a buddy box. Depending on the cord they work with both 2.4 and 72? I'm set up for both if using Futaba or Hitec radios. Others at my flying sites have the cords for other radios but these are my main two, I only have one Spektrum that I don't use.
The pass off radio is how a lot of pilots learned but a box is a lot better/faster. I just got a friend back into flying and used one of my planes, if we would have been passing off during the first flight I would have never been able to save that plane, not a trainer.