RCU Forums - View Single Post - worst kit youve ever built
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Smashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PT-40 was my first plane,and first build. That was probably over 30 years ago. It was mid 1980's
It was a lot of work,but I enjoyed putting it together. I bought a new 40 FP for it. Those 40 FP's are really good motors in the right plane. But on damp grass it's barely enough to get a PT 40 off the ground..
I refused to get help flying it,and since i couldn't get it airborne from grass runways. I found a paved circle drive where they where building new houses. (I had been making hap hazard attempts off and on to put this plane in the air for at least a couple months) It was a wide open field except for 1 tree I got it in the air,and made a circle,and on the second time around that tree became the strongest balsa magnet I have ever seen. My friends were yelling turn turn turn,and i was yelling I am! It got stuck in the tree only about 8 feet up. But it was a Locus tree with BIG thorns. I got it out without too much bleeding,and the only damage was a chunk out of the fuse.
I still have that plane hanging from the ceiling,and that was it's only flight. I have plans of making a float plane out of it some day if I live long enough. I might need to go pull that thing down,and take a look at it. I myself would not put it on the worst plane list just for the memories of the fun trying to get it airborne.