RCU Forums - View Single Post - worst kit youve ever built
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ikon N W'st Mr. Mulligan. At $450 plus shipping (in 2000) it was an expensive all wood kit. Extremely difficult wing build as it was tapered in 2 axis and had washout. It was obvious the maker put some effort into the plans, machine cut parts and instructions, but building a straight airplane was quite a challenge. There was little scale detail considered in the final product and many parts required modification to fit well. Polyester resin glass cowl and pants were very heavy, as was metal landing gears. The fabric and fiberglass finishing process completely burned me out and I sold it before ever flying it. I actually HATED the airplane when it was finally completed.... years later, I bought it back from the owner (who had never flown it), and I got it airborne. NOT an easy airplane to fly!! Very strange handling characteristics with horrible adverse yaw. Still working on getting it dialed in, but suffice it to say, it flies like a race plane and is unforgiving. Best kits? Anything by Bruce Tharpe, Midwest Citabria, and some of the scratch builds in which I made all the parts!