RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unilight System
Thread: Unilight System
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 AM
jthomas235
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED for dummys

I came across a few planes that had Unilights installed in them and was very impressed with what I saw. I have been having a issue with being able to see my 12'/3.7M glider at about 1300'. It has totally vanished for several seconds at a time. The thin airfoil also goes into stealth mode below the tree line during landings and I have decided to install two clear, LED strobes (one on bottom of each wing) .

Ordered a few pieces from DreamWorks to do some bench testing. They were out of the clear LED but I purchased a Red to play around with, make pattern for wing cut out, etc. I choose what Unilight advertised as their most powerful strobe, capable of 20W, 900 lumens in clear, the Unilight Profile Light Ultra and their 4 channel controller, and a Pulse 2S 850mah 30C battery. Within 2 minutes I had the system up and running, plugged into one of my spare rx's. All the connectors so far, fit without having to do any soldering. The strobe is strobeing and Im impressed with how bright this red flash is in my work shop during the daytime. Can't wait to see what the clears will do.

A few stumbling blocks out of the gate. This is my first lighting install. With a rx, controller, battery, LED that all need to be connected together, there is no mention of how +/-/S might line up. I took the controller outside in the bright sun and did find the pins identified on the bottom of unit, at each pin. Very, very small but they are all identified. Once you see it, you'll not forget what to look for in the future.

Controller ?: I plugged red LED in to channe1. When I add a LED, can it just plug into channel 2 and both strobes work together? I'm looking for the easiest way to hook up this two "clear" light system where the pair work together, no matter which mode I select (single flash, double flash etc.)

2S/3S operation: for my needs, am I cutting these strobes short by using 2S? Space is limited in my glider fuse but I can get a 3S in there if the benefits are worth the effort.