RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a chance to maiden my 1/3 Barth Waco YMF-5 last weekend at an event I organize. I replaced the old Brison 6.4 with a DA-150, and installed some 8411 servo's in the tail. I have them mounted to direct drive the elevator halves. This was built by a gentleman who only flew it once or twice, and then passed. It was bought at an estate sale, then re sold to me. I drove two thousand miles to pick it up, and have spent the last year making it flyable.

I set the firewall with 3 degrees of right thrust, and about 3/4 degree of down. After initial trimming, it could use a skootch more right thrust, but that is easily correctable with some rudder input on long up lines. Field assembly took just over an hour for myself and a friend. After a couple flights fittings and flying wire moorings began to loosen up. Some loctite seems to have helped.

I must say, it both flies like a heavy warbird, and a super cub at the same time! You definitely feel the weight of the airframe in the air, but it carries it's energy well for hammerheads and deadstick practice. I did loops, rolls, hammerheads, knife edge passes, inverted flight, barel rolls, and tried one snap at the top of a loop. It was a failure, and with a 20+ year old model I don't want to break it in the air! Or anywhere for that matter....

What are you guys doing for wingbags? I'm thinking about making a PVC and pool noodle wing rack, but would love an enclosed square briefcase style wingbag with at least 5 slots for the wings, N struts, and flying wires...
Here is what my bird looks like-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-18 18.44.31.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2105303   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-20 20.04.15.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2105304