RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....
Old 06-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I know there is a difference between a charity and a non-profit, and perhaps I'm thinking of a what a charity is graded by as compared to what they spend on overhead versus what they give, but I'm still having a hard time seeing 60-70% of a non-profits income going to salaries. I'm not an well versed in that piece of compensation etc, I just can't get my head around those figures. I think 20-to herhaps a high of 40 might be reasonable, and even lower for a "charity", whose goal one would hope is 10-20%.
Yes, a very significant difference once you ignore the IRS (a tough job but someone has to do it!).

Charities collect funds to disperse them to targeted individuals while non-profits frequently collect funds to achieve a common goal and frequently get their status through education. So charities are graded on keeping overhead down while non-profits are graded (by those donating) - are they reaching their goals?

We have been fighting the checkbook modeler who does not care about JQ Public for decades. It is only recently the impact of those checkbooks is being seen in various local government attempts to outlaw the drones because someone used them improperly (Trappy?). The unfortunate thing is only the bad get the press and they have been getting a lot of it of late because they are so uneducated in the hobby. The bottom line there is that the approach AMA has been using helps, needs to be supported, and costs money we did not expect to spend.

No, I do not like the dues increase but I do like the privilege of flying my models and as far as I can see the AMA has contributed directly to that more than anyone else.