RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky Ilya Muromets CG
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 05:38 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds good, Sal, I imagine the problem but it's good to have the batteries as far forward as possible.

As to 5 or 6 cells, both will do. 6 cells will have more zip, more like we are used to today. 5 cells just suffice and will feel more like the original with scarce power, especially since the lower voltage means less top speed. If I'd want to be proud to be the tamer of this beast, I'd take only 5 cells. Only moderate climb, only straight ahead. (In the old times, if someone had tried climbing and turning at the same time, they said at the funeral: He wouldn't have become a good pilot, anyway.) Even full-power do no turns steeper than standard! For peace of mind, meaning a bit speed and climb reserve, I would take 6 cells. A good compromise could be 5 cells with a 16x10 prop, though.

Edit: Yes, only a compromise. A bit more speed solves the turn problem (and the dreaded downwind turn I forgot to mention so far), but there's not more power which would be needed for better climb. (Since you can't pitch up further to avoid stall you must fly faster in order to climb faster.) I'd take 6 cells and 16x8 prop.

6s with a 16x10 would be even better. Even more speed, so steeper turns and faster climb as well. Just watch out for tucking (the counterintuitive negative stability). And the drive would be noticeably more efficient in cruise flight, could mean 5 minutes more duration.

I guess less than 10 Amps are needed for cruise flight in any case so you should have safe 20 minutes per flight. Since last year I use telemetry (remaining-charge display and warning) to monitor duration.

Hey, wouldn't it be nice to have telemetry for the flight data? A speed indicator with voice output and stall warning? I know they didn't have that in 1913 but they were in the airplane, not on the ground.

Last edited by UStik; 06-29-2015 at 07:40 AM.