RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 AM
CzDavec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Guys,
I could use some tuning and set up tips. I finally ran my 7-77 on Sunday . 1st problem was my so called "Heavy duty , Hi Torque starter" Couldn't wind it over even on 24 volts . So I had to resort to hand cranking . " As of course, I got stubborn and it was gonna start no matter what" ! So after flipping it over for what seemed like forever , I got it started and let it run rich ,well first thing that happened was after about 10 minutes I could hear it leaning out and tried to open up the high speed needle. That's when I noticed that the carb had come loose and it was sucking air. So I shut it down and let it cool off. After reseating the carburetor and carefully tightening it up . I reset the high speed needle to 2 1/2 turns out and tried again . Again had to hand flip it for what seemed like forever I got it to start again. Ran for about 5 or 6 minutes and stated running ragged and crapped out. At this point I was worn out from flipping it in 102 degree heat so I called it a day.
So I am asking for some tips and advice before proceeding again. First thing I did Monday was place an order for a new Sulliven Megatron Starter. <G>
As for my setup, I have a McDaniels On Board Glow system powered by a 5000mh Nimh sub C pack. The carb was set at 2 1/2 turns out on the high speed and 2 turns out on the low speed needle. I am using a 22 x10 prop for break in. The fuel I used was 1 gallon of Cool Power 10% mixed with 1 gallon of straight methanol .
So any input /advice would be most welcome. I know I need to run the engine for a few hours to get it seated in. I just am not sure if I am doing something wrong or overlooking something. The engine sounds fantastic and is beautiful to watch run. I can't wait to fly the Corsair with it but I sure hope it gets easier to start . LOL .

Thanks
Dave