RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Stratus (#RC4) - the long slow plans build
Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by heggen
May I throw in my thoughts on pushrods. For the past 35+ years, I have used nothing put solid pushrods of music wire with threaded couplers on the ends and clevises or the steel pushrods that have one threaded end. Nyrod outer tubes are fixed securely from close to the servo the their exit in the back of the fuselage and and a couple of spots in between to house the pushrods. This provides a slop free connection between the servo and control surface. It is simple to do and trouble free.
Good luck on the rebuild.
Yup, I'm taking notes here.

What I have/had in the Stratus are/were the standard 12" Dubro 2-56 threaded rods (.074" diameter) and locking clevis' with the rod cut in half, the threaded end is/was on the servo side and the other side was on the control surface with a 90 degree bend and duracollar to hold them - along with 5/16" dowel rod in the middle. Pure 1960's "dowel & steel" method. Those 2-56 rods bent - whether before or during the impact, I'll probably never figure out. They're bent though. Dowels are still intact, don't think 5/16" is gonna bend much in flight.

I'm planning to go to the Dubro 4-40 threaded rods (.093" diameter) when I rebuild. I like your idea of a single rod from servo to control surface with the anchored nyrod outer tube, my only issue is that Tower sells the 30" version of 4-40 threaded rods in packs of 24 - gonna have to see if I can find a source where I can get fewer in the pack (like, 2 to a pack). Ailerons going to 4-40 is no problem - easily available in 12" lengths, 2/pack.

This is all gonna work out, one way or another. She's definitely gonna fly again eventually.