RCU Forums - View Single Post - Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caelus V2: Motor Install

So, I installed the Pletty 30-10 and Jeti Opto 90 tonight. No real surprises. Dave had everything fitting perfectly. I did do a couple of extra things though.

I reinforced the area around the arm-safe with a couple of layers of fiberglass tape and 30 min epoxy. The fuselage flexed a bit too much for me when the plug was pushed in. This is more to my liking now. I also wrapped the motor wires in snake skin and zip tied them to the wall of the fuselage.

I did note one probable problem area and that is the battery tray. I accidentally bumped the rear support of the tray with my hand as I was mounting the motor and it popped off. Close inspection showed that it had not been glued in at the factory. Just pressed in place. No big deal to fix, but it did draw my attention to the battery tray in general. It seems like the tray is too thin for my comfort. It is made of 1/16" light ply and only anchored with any authority at the front end and middle. The aft end only has the 1/16" support that was not glued. I think I will be buying a battery tray from Mike. I think so far this is literally and figuratively the weak point in the design.

More tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	2108144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	2108145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	1650