RCU Forums - View Single Post - TBM Sbach 342 20 cc Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been a while since any activity in here.
I ended up installing Futaba S9170sv servos in the tail. The original servos i had weighed 60 grams the Futabas 32 grams ea.,so i eliminated about 2 oz.in the tail.
These servos are smaller than i had thought. I made them fit by adding some strips of lite ply to close up the hole,not much. Although these servos are smaller they should be up to the task. The output spline itself is larger in diameter the the 60 gram servos i had in there.
I reused the aluminum servo arms i had on the larger servos and had to spread open the part where the screw tightens on the spline quite a bit.
They ended up working out.
Ended up using a simple series tailwheel from redwing rc as well.

I made a li ion/ li mn 2s battery pack to power the rx and servo with a balance node for a futaba style plug the goes to my on/off switch. Connect my charger and plug my lead right to the chargeport on the switch.
The cells are 3.7 v 3500mah only problem is the the other brand servos although rated for 8.4 volts,well i guess they really can't handle it. The Futabas had no issues at all. I ended dropping the voltage of the pack to 7.5 and they all seem happy.
Ignition is mounted on right side motor mount using 1/2 inch dubro foam and a hd velcro strap. Rx pack mounted under the motor box the same way and ign. battery on right side of motor box.
I also made up a throttle pushrod. I didn't like the goldenrod so what i did is i made a pushrod from a 3/16 wooden dowel. I tried drilling into the ends of the dowel but the wood kept on splitting when i screwed in the 256 all thread stud. Reading up on how cf pushrods have the same issue i ended up doing something similar. I applied med ca to about and inch at the ends of the dowel and slid shrink tubing over it,applied some heat and let it set up. I was then able to drill the ends and install the studs with jb weld(slow cure). Seems to be pretty strong and looks like a cf rod. Lol.
Setup this way has me at 4.5 inches for cg. I have some minor finishing touches before she ready.
Engines peaked out at 8800 rpms with the 17x6 xoar with 3 tanks thru it tuning on the ground.
My beef is that i belong to a club that flies electrics and have to wait till Oct.(should of been Sept.) to fly at one of our sites to fly the gasser. I may have to look into another club to join to fly her sooner.
I see TBM does not have this on their site any longer. Last i saw they had the 30cc left.

How is everyone else doing?