RCU Forums - View Single Post - Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 04:43 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caelus V2: IMPORTANT OBSERVATION ON BATTERY TRAY!

I bought a new Gator battery tray from F3AU and think this was the smartest thing to do. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU REPLACE THE STOCK BATTERY TRAY. Sorry for shouting, but I removed the stock battery tray and found the following. The front and aft tray supports are 1/16 plywood. I noted this before but I found that mine were barely attached to the fuselage. The middle of the tray is glued to a former that runs across the fuselage. That's the only good support the tray has. However, all the joints in the battery tray are glued by a brittle white glue that easily snapped off when I removed the tray. There is no doubt in my mind that any flexing of the fuselage will cause these joints to fail. Combined with the 1/16 plywood, I judged that my airplane, if left stock, would have a high probability of ejecting the battery under aerodynamic load. Sorry but I don't think the current tray is sturdy enough over the long term to hold 10S batteries.

There is much to be appreciated about this airplane and I have a highly favorable impression of the Caelus; however, the battery tray needs to be reengineered. I don't recommend that you fly stock. That's what I think. Others may differ and have a different experience.

Last edited by kdunlap; 07-15-2015 at 07:59 PM.