RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jets Over Kentucky 2015 - "Worlds Grandest Jet Event"
Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 757Driver
Which Tomcat had the wing flutter? What mfg?
That was my F-14. Skymaster product and my case is the only known case on this airframe. After a long week at Kentucky Jets and a gear collapse during landing super save, I was able to identify the problem which were a series of loose bolts on the right wing mechanism. 2 of them on the actuator and 2 on the pins that go across the two carbon cross members. I had been working on these parts previously when I was updating the aluminum actuators in sort of a hurry on the field at Joe Nall. The landing probably gave it what it needed to accelerate the loosening of the bolts. I think a bit more attention and lock tight would have avoided the problem! Damn field updates!

Update: I also found that the bolts that anchor the landing gear mounts to the wood former which in turn hold the wing cross member also had play due to the not so smooth landing. That is a big deal as it holds the wing mechanism. I have installed washers on the wood side and tightened the screws to where there is 0 play now. Also, added washers to the back sides of all other screws that bolt to wood formers if they directly relate to the mounting of the landing gear and wing cross member. I am confident the combination of all these loosened screws created the wing flutter across both wings evenly.

Tested both wing rods and they are rock solid. Any other plane and it would have come apart in flight! This is one strong bird for sure! Bird is still in excellent condition.

Going to take her up this next weekend!

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 07-19-2015 at 04:52 PM.