RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fej f-35
Thread: Fej f-35
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of things I was advised to do: Split the nose doors to reduce the center of lateral area shift when the doors are opened. The steering rod is secured using e clips and they come off so use a wheel collar inside the strut to secure the steering rod. The set screw that limits the turn on the lower portionof the nose strut MUST be loctited and set in just enough to not lock the strut's compression, else if left too loose the strut can turn 90 degrees. A roll axis gyro is necessary when the forward main doors are opened during retraction and extension of the gear. (Those doors are 45 degrees to the airflow and can make for some very interesting moments.) Make sure you set up the forward doors to close in both gear positions as the flight envelope gets pretty unstable when they are open. Also make sure the forward main doors open exactly the same angle so as to minimize the differential roll that they initiate.
All this being said the JL F-35A is a very docile plane and lands very slowly. I was cautioned to use a 3 axis gyro and while I used an iGyro at first I have a futaba single axis gyro on roll only now, and it is activated on the gear switch, being active only when the gear are down. The F-35A has a great 'presence' in the sky and you will enjoy the flight envelope. A friend in Hawaii has one and he uses conditions to get flaperons transferring the roll control to the stabilators during the flap deployment, and the ailerons can be raised as flaps to cause an airbrake efffect. I find this all unnecessary, as the 35 lands vastly slower than even the JL F-22 with all the crowed surfaces hanging out, but each to his own.
Hope this helps,
Len