RCU Forums - View Single Post - Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caelus V2: Preflight final Impressions

So, I have just completed the build of the Caelus V2. I have a couple of comments on the airplane and would like to share these with you. I've built dozens of RC airplanes, a full size hovercraft, about a dozen pattern planes over the years and feel qualified to comment on fit and finish and construction. As I noted before, Dave Snow did all of the work this time, and I am just screwing things together. So, don't take this as a final word. Also, while I fly pattern planes, I've never competed and don't feel at all qualified to talk about flight characteristics. I will leave that for better thumbs than mine...

Overall, in terms of construction, I think the Caelus V2 is the best value pattern airplane that I have ever built. Dollar for dollar you are not going to get anything better for $1000. In fact, it makes the 125's, 110s, and smaller planes no longer a deal. If this plane was available when I got my Mythos 125 I would have purchased it instead. The Caelus just has too many good things going for it. The best part is that if you want to move to the next better thing you can take everything out of it and move on to another 2M plane. This is the perfect plane to introduce yourself to pattern flying. This will be my competition plane this year, as I want to go to a contest in fall for the first time. You should consider buying this airplane!!!!

The construction is thoughtful and well done in most places and frankly the problems that I did run into were minor. That being said, frankly if the price climbs, it then gets into the same category as the Sebart's, BJ's, and alike. Fit and finish-wise the Caelus is not at that level. Here's the craziest thing, with a bit of modifications in construction and quality control this plane could very well be at the top of it's class. It is very close to being world-class. As I was assembling the plane my basic frustration was seeing an airplane so nearly close to perfect that was derailed by a couple bad design choices.

Here's what I would change.

1) The battery tray. -said already.
2) The white glue and some epoxy used in some parts of the airplane. TopRC please use a more consistent quality and application of adhesive through out the Caelus. There were areas where some of the adhesive was brittle or soft. Don't skimp on the adhesive please. Also, my rough guesstimate is that in some places you just spread it on too thick and used 2X as much adhesive as necessary. (All please note that where the bonding needs to be strong such as the wings and gear it is, No problems in the structural areas,)
3) Paint. The airplane uses a lot of deep red in the color scheme. I've used these shades of red before and you have to use a heavy coat to cover the primer. Problem is that this leads to a very thick coat of paint. This is especially prevalent on the undersides of the wings which are all red. While not scientific again, I think that there is about 2x as much paint on the wings as should be necessary just to get the deep red color to look right. That leads to the bleeds that I referenced earlier and problems with the masking job.
4) Tail wheel. There needs to be a better way of attaching it to the rudder. The set screw which holds the arm into the collet which runs to the rudder is so small, I can't find a hex wrench for it. and when it does get attached I think the wire is going to bend.

All in all I couldn't be happier. Well done to Mike Muller and TopRC.

Ken

PS: I'll weigh mine before I go fly and post a picture at the field...

Last edited by kdunlap; 07-22-2015 at 06:55 PM.