RCU Forums - View Single Post - Model Aviation, Model Airplane News... disappointed
Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
If you're only reading the magazine for reviews of products they advertise, then ya, I guess you might come away the conclusion that it might be a "cheering section" for products.

But..have you actually read through the magazine, lately at least? If you're talking about some of the other mags out there, they might be closer to that characterization, but I don't see that with MA. Lots more than just product reviews.

But even so...does anyone really base their purchasing decision on the views of ONE person? Do people have that much faith in a singular point of view? I guess so, but I'd rather read reviews from here, RCG, and then hopefully get my hands on something at the local hobby shop or even see if at the field. I look at the reviews of products like I do a Yelp or Trip Advisor review...it's one persons view, typically of one instance.

If all the mags you mentioned were so great, and the information they provided was so valuable, ya gotta wonder why none of them are around anymore. So many sources of information now with the web. MA has a "captive" audience for the most part, and appeals to the broadest spread of users. Shouldn't stop anyone who is a great builder/writer/techy person from starting and maintaining their own blog, or even site. Pretty cheap and easy to do that now, and it's a great way to preserve something for anyone looking for that type of information. It's amazing how many sites are out there that exist for a very targeted purpose.

"If all the mags you mentioned were so great, and the information they provided was so valuable, ya gotta wonder why none of them are around anymore."
They aren't around anymore because they told the truth. Manufacturers give their advertising dollars (and free products) to the magazines that avoid harsh truths and gush over their products. Period.