RCU Forums - View Single Post - Model Aviation, Model Airplane News... disappointed
Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=tailskid;12076084]
Originally Posted by porcia83
All of those other magazines failed because they told the truth? Sorry, I don't buy that.

So where are all these writers now? <snip>

Oh we are still around
That is great to hear. I know two folks that live in CT that write for mags, and I can appreciate (somewhat) the time and effort that goes into doing a build, flight tests, and then a write up.

Honest questions if you would indulge me. I presume that any product being reviewed has been given to the author free of charge. I can see the inherent problem with that, but I would think that the writers integrity would override the desire to write a puff piece and not bring up any inherent issues. If you did that type of review, did you ever feel torn between laying it all out there if there were major issues, or did you just let the chips fall where they did. Did you editor ever get involved and pressure you to change things (other than normal editing suggestions).

I'm guessing on build issues, or technical issues those were more factual and/or opinion based, ie "how to plane a piece of wood", or "how to cover a wing" etc, so not much to get into issues with from an advertising perspective.

Do you still write for a mag? Where do the writers of yesterday go now to share their thoughts etc, and avoid the conundrum of advertising backlash. Is it somewhere like here, or are there blogs/websites out there devoted to whatever specialty or interest you wrote about? Final presumption is that you, or your peers didn't write for the money....so difficult to earn a living doing that. The guy I know that writes does it because he truly enjoys it and wants to share his thoughts on the hobby. Thanks ahead of time if you get a chance to respond.