RCU Forums - View Single Post - Model Aviation, Model Airplane News... disappointed
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been writing for over 30 years so getting a 'free' this or that means very little to me. I know the guys at the field get all boogie-eyed when I bring another plane out there to test fly and I hear the 'Must be nice' comment more than I care to count - BUT like you said, it takes a lot of time to review a model and the guys don't really know all that goes into a 'review'. For example, here at RCU you actually write the CODE, not just the words! Other places like RCG make it a bit easier to write but there are challenges there also. I've written for glossies (RCM, Fly R/C and once for Model Aviation). The problem with 'glossies' is the word count limit....Try to say all they want you to say and just to do that often limits where you discuss problems that arise. When I wrote for RCReport there was a MINIMUM word count or you got docked in pay! I remember once turning in a Product Review of a plane and Gordon yelled and screamed that there wasn't anything wrong with the plane (according to my review)! So I had to go back and find something bad or wrong about it - he said there has never been a perfect kit and I have to agree with him.

The ARF I'm currently reviewing has racked up 4 or 5 'bad' things and only 3 positive comments so far and yes, they will be published just as written. The only time a manufacturer has changed anything I wrote was because of a technical error on my part. One company withdrew their ad in the magazine because I gave the a plane a 'It's O.K." but not the best thing since sliced bread! Too bad for them as I won't make it all fuzzy if it isn't....

I've also turned in reviews that never were published because of what I said - no big deal to me - and if anyone asked about that plane, I told them what I thought of it. Again, no biggie either way.

Now I've "heard" rumors some mags will change a review but have never personally witnessed it. I can see where a mag like MAN or FLY/RC has to limit what can be said due to word count and the writer has no control over it. With that being said, I still prefer reading a 'glossy' to something on the internet because I can STUDY the pictures better (and there is a limit on that also). It is the educator in me that cannot understand why some people will not read a mag (say Model Aviation) - are they so all knowing they can't learn something? For example, I learned how to paint from reading a Pylon Racing section - they KNOW how to put a finish on a plane. I also learned about using magic markers to make scale detail from a Scale FREE FLIGHT column and the list goes on. I'm always learning from others and being an old fart, I like magazines

I have my personal 'things' that are solely mine - for example, I will NOT test fly a plane once or twice and write up how it flies - in fact I frequently have two or more pilots also fly the plane and give me feedback. Sometimes I lucky enough to have them flying on video and you can hear what they have to say. One currently plane being tested for a review has three other pilots flying it and it has over two dozen flights (and how is it in one piece you might add??? <g>). Just today I've decided how to write up 'how it lands' because it IS different from other planes and on the first flight I greased in one landing (on video) and that was PURE LUCK because it has taken me over two weeks to be able to land that bird smoothly and not bounce 3-4 times (and 3 props).

So now that you are asleep I put it in simple words - I let the chips fall where they may! There will be other opportunities in the future. And no, we (authors) don't write for the money - just to fun of building or flying something new

Jerry

PS check 'My Models' and almost all of them were review and yes, most of them are still in my garage/bedroom/hallway/living room, etc.