RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, just want to inform you guys that you're a bad influence. For a long time, I'd been lusting for the little 735. However, logic always won out when I got too close to buying one. (Why would I pay that kind of cash for a complex 7 cylinder contraption when I could pick up an old ryobi for free at almost any place that services small engines devices? More power, no valves to ajjust, no expensive fuel, no expensive, hard-to-get parts, etc.!!!) All was going well until I came across this thread. After a couple of weeks of serious lurking, it was.... Order 735 from Horzon !!! Order "EVO Radial Fuel" from Ritches Brew !!! Order 2 "F" cells (glo plug power) off the web. ................... All was here Friday, but couldn't pass up a nice week end at the flying field, spending time with the other old geezers playing with their toys.. Got it mounted on the test stand, oiled all the visible, moving parts, & turned it over several times. As was mentioned here earlier, I also had 3 "soft" cylinders. Initial startup of the little jewel was a non-event. Spent more time finding where the barrel valve just opened, & setting the transmitter than anything else. Starts with just a bump of the starter, Top end needle adjustment is nice & broad, but I did have to adjust the bottom end needle much more rich than I'm accustomed to doing. Was the only way that I could get a nice low-end idle. Even with the rich setting, it ran fine with no glo-plug power. Head temperatures were so low that I questioned the IR unit. Only 'bout 50 deg. above ambient. Up to half throttle,this thing is so quiet. The average sewing machine makes more noise. Half to full throttle produces a nice "purr". No exhaust ring, just open stacks. Prop was a wood Top Flite 18x8. ( Same as I use on my Ryobi 31CC). RPMs were 6500+ (with a/f ratio a bit on the rich side). Idle, with the rich mixture was at 1900 RPMs Got 'bout 25 min. of run time. The 3 soft cylinders are still noticeably lower than the rest, but not nearly as bad as was before the run. I really feel confident about the engine. Doubt that I'll go through a long "break-in" on the test stand. Air frame is gonna be a counterfit Giant Stick. Sure would like to see this thing in a Stearman, but I've never had a bipe in the air. I'm comfortable with the Stick. Hope the weight is gonna be near (or under) 12,5 lbs. These things can sure be addictive !!! Haven't even got the wing halfs glued together on the Stick yet, and I'm already thinking "What plane would I like to put a 999 in"? ...............George K.