RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet20
This thread brings up an interesting question. There are builders out there, but not as prevalent as they used to be it seems. I'm a builder and love building. My dad (Larry Wolfe of Jet Hangar Hobbies) taught me so much and I'm so thankful to share his passion. I can only hope that there are more out there so we can inspire a younger generation to build.

In an attempt to try and inspire builders (both new and experienced) I setup an RC Blog called thercgeek.com. I've been chronicling my builds there and using them to write how to articles. I'm starting also to get into how-to videos on my youtube channel as well (https://www.youtube.com/channel/the rc geek). It's all a work in progress, but it's a start. I can only hope folks find it helpful.
Good luck with this. I have given lessons here in my shop to anyone that wanted to learn how to build and students could use my equipment. My last two students were a while ago, one was 12 and one was several years older then myself. They each built one kit and then went right back to ARFs. That's OK but then when the ARF got broken they tried to bring them to me for repair. I'm all for ARFs if someone just wants to fly but it would be fun to at least teach covering so people could strip and recover there ARFs if wanted or needed.
When one club tried to get the people into building they came up with a racing class using the SIG Kavalier. They only came in kits. I ended up building a lot of those planes and they kept me in modeling money for a long time.