RCU Forums - View Single Post - RX/TX and FPV Beginner Question!?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok guys, I've seen threads like this before. And as I mentioned above, I've worked at these contests before. He has a project, probably for a 400 level class, that he's supposed to do for a major grade. He's supposed to design a flying machine, take it to a contest and compete, then write a paper about it. All kinds of engineering students do these contests, so many of them have no aircraft experience at all. The dumb ones think they have it all figured out and build a colossal failure then try to make their grade on explaining why it didn't work in their paper. The great ones have a few years of previous projects to examine and a professor who guides them to study what's worked before so they can continue to innovate. That's what I suggested to the OP that he do but he's not biting. The ones in the middle frequently show up on the forums looking for quick answers on how to get started. They are essentially looking for homework help. Some are very receptive, and some just want confirmation that their ideas are right. Either way, I think it's a good investment in the hobby to help these guys, because a few might continue their interested in RC and a very few might have an innovative idea that makes its way into a new product. But even if it doesn't, you're helping a new engineer finish his education so he can start working, which is sorely needed in many parts of the country.