RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lets talk about control Rods, what are you using, what works, what dont work??
Old 08-03-2015, 04:34 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The only advantage of titanium here is weight, it is no stronger than steel just lighter. So unless this is some physically larger replacement pushrod I don't see how these titanium rods are any stronger, just more $$$ kind of like kevlar fuel tanks :-)

Flex? I have used carbon fiber pushrods for years and they were bulletproof, mine were Central Hobbies like "Instructor" explained,

Agree with you here Matt. CF rods are stiffer than any metal, including titanium. CF really comes into its own when using long rods. I recall using CF arrow shafts in gliders with push rods over 24" long.. These shafts are thin wall aluminium tube about 3/8" dia, with a wrap of CF around it. Much less prone to bending under compression than metal or wood rods.. Interestingly, the next best rod material, was a length of 1/2" square section balsa wood. Remember those days..

Flutter is a complex problem involving, among other things, the elasticity of the entire airofoil structure stiffness, and control surface support systems. Control rods are one small part of the system, but I would be surprised if the rod material choice would add much to the elasticity of the system. Especially with very short rods like the Avanti use on Elevator..