RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about Model Airplane Weight Limits
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with Ken the moderator about closing this thread down. The reason being that I feel really embarrassed. I realize that when you look at this from the outside it appears that I didn't listen to the experts. This is not entirely true. This is the first time I've had to contact a product support or seek help online for model airplane issues of this kind. In the past I always just followed the instructions and only had small problems with my airplanes. All which were either remedied fairly easily or continue to be a slight annoyance. But nothing as major as this.

The Bottom line is I didn't know who I could trust. This kit never suggested a propeller for me. Most don't, I know, but it would have been nice if they had, at least for the Engine they said they ran on the prototype. The propeller sizes listed in the OS manual are all incorrect. Product support is correct. Product support tells you what size will give you the needed RPMs. None of the propellers, except for maybe the smallest listed in the manual will give you those RPMs. Some people online told me that in Japan they run bigger propellers to reduce noise. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but "Ok" Maybe they put large engines on smaller airplanes?

I had a big problem with my CG, and weight. What the kit tells everyone about weight is incorrect. Almost everyone is telling me that 10 lbs is pretty average for this type of model. The kit boasts 7 lb - 9.5 lbs. I was scared to add enough weight to the nose to balance the plane. However the largest 3 bladed propeller 14x7 gave me just enough weight to balance the plane. The next reason I chose to use that propeller is because, after testing several, it pulled the model on my grass runway the fastest. I didn't realize that this meant nothing to what the model would do in the air.

Just remember what I said before. I was trying to obtain good information, but there was so much misinformation that I didn't know who the experts were. It's fine with me if you want to say my inexperience got the better of me. But what is a newbie to do when the manuals don't agree with product support. And others don't agree with either of them!

I see no reason to continue this thread. I learned my lesson. Hopefully you've learned something too.

* I'm going to run .95AX Engine because early in this thread some other modellers suggested going to a 90. Since I'm trying to take off a heavy airplane from a Grass runway I the extra power is welcomed. I'm going to run a two bladed propeller. I don't know exactly what size yet. But I'm shooting for 11,000 RPMs. If a propeller doesn't give me that high, I'm not using it. Also it is noteworthy to know that this airplane will probably won't be taking to the air this year. There is too much damage for how much time I have left to fix it all.