RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ CRAFT INVITATION (Electric)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 04:02 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumping up this thread with new flight reports

Got an electric Invitation (standard scheme & fixed stabs) flying this week and what can I say except that I am delighted with my purchase! Thanks BJ Park & Mike Mueller!

Maiden day:
First flight took a click of aileron trim which I later dialed out by fine tuning the physical set-up. Took a few clicks of down elevator trim more than I was expecting, so I revisited the thrust angle: I added a single washer to square down thrust with the nose ring ever so slightly, tweaking my Advance install (used the F3AU mounts with a spacer shaped from plywood that came with the kit).

Next day:
Second flight confirmed the thrust angle tweak as I was able to take out the down elevator trim. Trimmed the rudder a click or two I think, not much.

Third flight shifted the packs a half an inch forward from maiden flight, moving away from a neutral CG towards the forward end of the CG envelope (as described in the Essence thread), then flew the Intermediate schedule. What more can I say about BJ's QC that a middling pilot could fly a clean sequence with a new airframe on just the third flight? (Ok the pros get to check her out this weekend at the Penguin Pattern contest in Constantia NY and I believe they will be impressed as they help me further trim out my set-up.)

4th flight flew KE to check differential elevator trim and tweaked when I got home. Will see later today how that worked, but was not far off. The only mix in my Invitation is the traditional downline mix on bottom throttle and I hope to keep it that way from what I have been reading about sister ship Essence.

First impressions:
Wow this baby is big, and G2 looks very different in the air from my Nuance and Pegasus (and all other more traditional pattern profiles). Will take some time getting used to the sight picture, but my caller and I liked the presentation during the sequence and the Invitation tends to a constant airspeed that feels right. Downlines are not too fast even with the idle up and brake off (Falcon 21x14 V2). Very nice. Will likely switch to 13.5 pitch with cooler temps.

Easy inverted flight with just a little stick pressure. Similar light stick pressure on the massive rudder makes straight & level KE feel easy to me, very nice. The massive rudder will take getting used to for stall turn entry and it is clearly the most powerful rudder I have ever had on any model LOL! Good times. Multiple linked rolls look possible using only elevator pushes on inverted, which will be nice when I move up to Advanced next year: Look out 3 rolls LOL!

We had gusty winds and lots turbulence on short final for a few landings: the Invitation was predictable and stable while I wrestled with mother nature's finest efforts and settled into a beautiful flare once clear of the corn and over the grass. No big deal, but the last thing I want is to botch a landing with a new model. The arrivals were confidence builders which is nice so I can focus on technique without the model getting in the way. Awesome for 4 flights away from the workbench!

Gear:
Futaba R7003SB S.Bus2 Rx; BLS 171SVs on Ailerons & Rudder; BLS173SVs on Elevators (all HV); dual Tech-Aero regulators with 2S 480 LiPo Rx packs.

Tech-Aero ThrottleTech; CC Edge HV 80 with external ArmSafe switch for my callers/helpers; Pletty Advance; F3AU motor mounts; Falcon 21x14 V2.

Performance Unlimited 5S 4500 & 5200 sets. (Would use the 4500s on most days and reserve the 5200s for windy days only.)
Rx pack & external voltage telemetry from the main packs for safety's sake. Left off the GPS for the time being, but can swap in from another model.

Stock push rods & hardware that came with the Invitation (will probably upgrade these over time, but nice to have in the box to get flying quick).

Gator RC battery tray kit and MK style tailwheel assembly (thanks Mike!). MK wheels on the mains. Whatever was left over from other kits LOL. Cheers!

Last edited by danamania; 08-06-2015 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Formatting