RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bob, that does help. What sort of timber is that? Think on my rig I used a philips head screwdriver with a hole drilled in the handle as it was all I had handy at the time! I should go but a proper plumbob from the hardware store.

Had a bit of a stuff up on the bottom of the wing . . .

Got some good progress done on the 47 however stuffed up the bottom of the wing when I applied the white for the invasion stripes.

Normally I will give a light sand with 600 done dry to roughen up the base coat which was dulon auto acrylic then apply light coat of grey primer, give that a light dry sand then spray the top colour.

Works very well and the paint takes nicely to it, does not lift.

As the day was getting away and I was getting impatient I decided to just spray the white straight to the wing, no rub back, no primer. The spray gun wasn’t adjusted very well so it was putting down a bit too much paint. Front part took ok, but the back half of the area looked like a mess of treacle. It did not bind to the surface and pooled with bubbles thoughout – Yuk!

So got a cloth and wiped away what I could then dampened a rag with thinners and wiped more off. Once it had dried I started wet sanding with 800. Normally I would use 600 but I’m out of it and no transport at present.

Have to get about 10 sheets of 600 wet and dry. Will see if Ron will run me to Supercheap after work. He is picking me up from train station at 4 as I have a large ARF kit to post off and I have no way to get it there otherwise.
Need tape as well.

Once I have it rubbed back to the base primer coat I will remove the tape except where the stars/bar is and do a light edge spray for the grey top colour, mask off then apply the primer and finally the white but with lighter applications this time.

Regardless of the stuffup I still got the wing stars and bars completed and the fuz squadron codes done. Fuz is looking good! Very pleased with it. Still the invasion stripes to apply to that as well. Will take my time though!!