RCU Forums - View Single Post - New IGYRO 3e is here!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Gordon yes you can fly the 3E in heading hold mode through out the flight. I cant stand how it feels in heading mode and disabled heading hold on mine. Its good gyro for the money that works great. I do still preffer the cortex though. The more I mess around with these it seems that certain planes do better with the cortex and others do better with the 3E. Also every pilot is different. Both are huge advancements in the hobby!

Originally Posted by Gordon W
I’ve just bought and flown a Cortex gyro, in which the “rate” and “hold” modes are mutually exclusive, at least out of the box. So at present I’m flying it in my Nano using the “rate” mode. Cortex warn against using “hold” mode for landing and general flying, suggesting that “hold” is only suitable for hovering and harrier-style manoeuvres.

OTOH, the iGyro3E’s “hold” mode appears to be a combination of “rate” and “hold” modes. In “hold” mode, rudder remains on “rate” mode throughout, but if the aileron and/or elevator and sticks are released to centre, those channels go into “hold” mode, and if you then move a stick, its channel returns to “rate” mode.

Is this correct?

If so, are the rate and hold gains both the same when in “hold” mode? I presume that out of the box they would be, but if you download the computer software, you can vary these rates individually.

Finally, is the iGyro3’s “hold” mode safe to have engaged during a whole flight including take-off and landing with a jet flown in a scale manner (including normal jet aeros)?

If not, when would you use that mode in a jet? Hovering and 3-D with vectored thrust, perhaps?

I need another 3-axis gyro (or two )and am wondering whether to plump for the iGyro3 this time as it’s cheaper (though a tad heavier) than the Cortex and can still be flown in “rate only” mode in the same way that I’m using my Cortex. Another plus for the iGyro3 is that it'll take 20A compared with only 10A for the Cortex, and the servo current is shared between all 5 channels and not just two as in the Cortex.