RCU Forums - View Single Post - CO2 Extinguisher. Keep it nearby during startup
Old 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM
F-16 viperman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbsonic
This is one of those things that you learn over time unfortunately. Unless you happen to have friends with experience on the topic and can tell you what to look for or help move into action. Otherwise vidoes like this are helpful(hopefully this guys was able to save some of his plane). In this case, the large flame doesn't really faze him and I don't think he realized what was going on. With CO2 you can hit it when in doubt and err on the side of safety whenever you see smoke that is out of the ordinary(harder with diesel) or flame that is out of the ordinary. I've had some experience with hot/wet starts and seen a few at events that were handled well. One thing I have never seen and never hope to see is a collapsed pipe. Not sure what that's like.
Hope this helps someone.When I first got into turbines, Had a bandit hot start just a little, and unknown to Me, the excess heat weakened the rear of the bypass . Luckily though, hatches off, I decided to turn the tail safely away and throttle up once. BOOM! the pipe collapsed. Sounded like an explosion. I immediately shut down, grabbed My halon and put out the small fire that was just starting. Minimal damage thankfully. New custom stainless tail on bypass, and new tailpipe from Tam, and lesson learned. After any hot start, no matter how small, Inspect Your bypass and pipe for damage. If I would have taxied out and throttled up for takeoff . I think You all can imagine what would have happened.