RCU Forums - View Single Post - Have I missed anything exciting??
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 09:51 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max and his FPV is just awesome. Very well done, and the expert he is, I wouldn't have expected anything less than a complicated (to me) build such as this. Looks pretty sweet and I applaud him for taking the seemingly difficult leap into FPV.

I've seen some of the Dromidas at the LHS when I visit once a year and they look pretty legit. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really. I picked the Alias because of it's 'flipping' abilities, size, and the cool super bright LEDs, but that was a couple years ago when flipping quadcopters wasn't so common. Now days just about all 'non-equipment-carrying' choppers can do it. So as I've implied, the Alias has been in my RC line-up for about two years. A couple weeks after getting it, I had no problem doing banked turns, full-speed runs, flipping, etc. I don't usually use expert mode though. I've flown it in expert and it's quite challenging, but doable. When it gets moving too fast in one direction and you try to correct, it seems another axis has moved. It's like a constant leveling act on your part vs really flying around and having fun. Expert mode basically disengages the gyro. But even though it's difficult, I was able to do some pretty wild series of flips and rolls at a high altitude. Probably the most difficult thing I've done with it and you just kinda do, telling yourself to screw it whatever happens, happens. To sum that up, most of the time I just fly the advanced mode. It's the most capable you can make the thing without shutting the gyro off.

Overall lots of fun, but FPV would be taking it to the next level. The next copter I was going to get was the Estes Proto-X FPV for around the house flying, but I'm now considering building one or picking up a used (thus cheaper) higher end model like the DJI Phantom, Hubsan X4, or Blade 350. Amain Hobbies also has a whole section dedicated to 'drones' and other quadcopters with FPV. Lots of options there too...
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Thanks for the reply, Nate. This thread has gotten me pretty interested in that FPV kit Max has built. But being of thrifty nature, I'm a little shy about dropping several Benjamins on something I may not have the knack for. So I'm thinking about the Alias, or, Dromida has one that's about $25 cheaper. I might be willing to drop $75 on something to see if I can learn to fly it well enough to go for the full kit like Max.

How long have you been flying the Alias, and have you gotten good enough with it to fly banking turns? Have you made it up to "Expert" level yet?