RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you have a popular model like the GSS, there's probably some tweaking down with trial-and-error at first; tests done with slight variations to see what configurations like to fly the best. I'm quite sure that with models like the GP GSS, the GP Super Stearman, etc., there's an early period where they try variations to see which tweaks are best. You can be sure they listen to what customers tried and liked. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that since the days of the large GP SS models, the incidences were adjusted just a wee bit, to make them even better flyers in the GSS models.

I have to say, I broke a few of my own rules with this bird. For instance, there's so darn much wing on it that a MUCH smaller engine would have been fine. A 20CC would fly the GSS strong and solid, but I had a Syssa 30CC, so I over-powered mine . One thing I always loved about planes with HUGE wings like the Kadet Senior, the Telemaster, etc., was that you could put a smaller engine/motor on it, keep it very light, and play with thermals and such and enjoy flying and soaring and soft, slow landings. Even with the Syssa 30CC, though, I can still enjoy most of these things, which goes to show just how versatile the GP GSS really is as an all-around model. I can't recall ever being quite so taken with every aspect of a model. It's sleek, and long-bodied, so I feel like a car buff falling in love with the lines of a 1963 split-window Corvette. You can see the photos I've posted of mine in here over the past few years.The wings break down so that it's VERY easy to transport, even though it's a fairly large bird.

Anyway, I'd suggest going with it just the way it comes, and if you're not satisfied with it, you can always change it. I doubt you'll find there's any need for that, though. The tweaking to discover its best flying characteristics were done years ago. They've long since dialed this model in. That's one of the best parts about it!

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 08-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.