RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1300 Starting Gas and quesiton
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 08:21 AM
ivesdo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1300 Starting Gas and quesiton

I have been using external propane for many years with my Simjet turbines. When I recently acquired a PST 1300, I didn't' receive any of the internal gas parts other than the solenoid valve. I continued to use propane for starting and the only difference I noticed was a need to turn my regulator valve full open in order to get the EGT up for a kero ramp. That along with multiple starts to get the temp up. I am using a regulator from GREAT Northern Hobbies (now defunct) but similar to what DreamWorks (Todd) sells. Since I am already using external propane, I would prefer to continue with that gas, unless it is ill advised. The problem is, now that I have replaced the EGT Thermocouple, it seems to take about four or more starts with propane in order to get the temperature up. The TC is 2mm into the cone and if I move it much further in, I get over temperature shutdowns as might be expected. I replaced the TC due to over temperature shutdowns right after take off. I am using the older TEMS ECU.

Is Propane ok to use, externally only ?
Should I do something to increase the flow of propane ?
Should I purchase DreamWorks regulator ?

What are the thoughts about this ?