RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:41 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

As I understand it, Sanye manufactures the ASP and Magnum lines among many others, but they do not brand any of them as Sanye. The ASP line is pretty much identical to the Magnum other than some subtle brand icons on the crankcase a and such. The ASP line is marketed for Europe and Asia (pretty much anywhere BUT the USA) and the Magnum line is marketed for the U.S. market. ASP is generally setup for low/no nitro and the Magnums are setup for higher nitro. No surprise you didn't note a big rpm hit when dropping the nitro and oil content. You lose rpm when you drop the nitro but gain some rpm with the lower oil content (and also advanced ignition timing as well). I suspect you would notice a higher hit on power if you ran an engine sans nitro (unmodified) that was designed to use 10-15% nitro. I would question longevity using low oil (such as 10-12%), especially if it gets run lean a few times. RC car engines use 6-12% oil and 20-40% nitro typically, but even with the high nitro (and subsequent higher oil volume), longevity is usually limited to 3-6 gallons of fuel and even less in a racing engine/vehicle. Car engines don't have near the load put on them that aircraft engines do so the extra oil usually makes them run a bit rough and sluggish. Aircraft engines are under load at all times and the higher oil really helps keep them alive longer. I've gone as low as 8% oil and 30% nitro and the crankcase was bone dry inside. No residual oil inside when set just slightly rich. If I run 11-12% oil (castor is what I use in most of my fuel; rarely do I use synthetic oil except in my Jett's) there is often residual oil inside the crankcase when set at a slightly rich mixture. The bearings survive a fair bit longer with more oil too.