RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:19 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitro, Electric, Gas....They all have their benefits in one area or another...I've flown a lot of all of them and still own all three types...My electrics get flown when its lighter winds and I want something easy to toss in the car and fly whenever...Not a fan of larger 20 plus percent models as the 6-12 cell stuff gets a little finicky and I'd rather fly gas that I personally feel is more reliable in large expensive birds. I've always loved my nitro engines weather 2 or 4 strokes...BUT I cannot stand the smelly messy methanol/castor/synthetic fuels.
The negatives for me is the different engines I run require different fuels such as 0% FAI in my Moki's, 10-20% in most of my 2 stroke Nitro's and 30-40% in most of my four strokers. Obviously the 4 strokers can run less nitro but tend to be more finiky and stall at low RPM's with less nitro. ( I know I know...Tuning you will say. Trust me...I tune my models to the knats ass)
Plus the Nitro fuels for me tend to go south in a shorter amount of time and also if not extremely well kept will draw moisture to the fuel. I also dislike having to run after run oils through the nitro's if they will sit around for any extended amount of time after being run as the castor will gum up and lock up the piston/sleve requiring a tear down to clean and service the engine before next use. But most of all is those darn glow plugs and never ending dead igniters. Run a nitro a touch lean and eat a 5-8 dollar glow plug. Heck I have 5-6 planes on the wall that are locked up solid from sticky nitro fuels that I did run after run oil in.

Gas planes use 30-35 less fuel..Never worry about blowing a spark plug from running lean. Fuel will have near twice the shelf life for me, I run amsoil Saber at 100:1 with 87 octane...That's about $2.90 a gallon mixed and using 30-35% less fuel than nitros makes cost of use much lower...plus every corner sells my 97 octane gasoline. I run both CDI and electronic ignitions on my gassers and other than the easier starting from a Electronic ignition I really could care less because the weight difference is almost a wash. CDI vs Ignition module, switch and battery. Plus no need to charge anything with CDI! Best of all....My planes stay MUCH cleaner!!!
Just putting my $.02 out there guys...not bashing Nitro...I love them all...But gassers is the clear winner for me...I'll be sticking with Gas.