RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with Sport Pilot. I rarely burn a plug, and if I do, it is because the compression is too high, and needs a shim. The motors that run well on low or no nitro, generally have a higher compression than some others. Some manufacturers just have more shims in to give lower compression to start with, and be safer. I still prefer glow, as gas is fairly expensive here because of taxes, often close to $6 for regular, a gallon. Methanol is about the same, or maybe $11 if bought at a paint store with a big markup. Oil is the main cost, well nitro too. I would consider using gas if I could find a container that does not stink, but my planes are often .25 or even .049 and do not seem to use much fuel, and even the .46 and .91 I seldom use much fuel. I like to Keep It Simple. I have been buying my fuel from the Toledo show for $14 a US gallon (expensive US dollars) and might go through a gallon a year. As for mess, I use exhaust extensions, and still clean it up, mostly from the tail. I think if I had to change, maybe the leckies, but it would be a sad day. The receiver pack still needs to be charged which I find cumbersome, and a lipo pack is fresh for each flight. 'That is just me, maybe, but I can change if I have to, I guess.'