RCU Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn Myth
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Interesting link. For me, these threads are a study in human psychology, or communications or something. Something about a counter-intuitive reality (airspeed vs groundspeed in this case) can generate such a back and forth. There is something inherent in the question and the basic counter-inuitive explanation that creates such a rich breeding ground for outrageous posts.

FWIW, in my experience, misjudgment of ground TRACK in the landing pattern (in a base leg cross wind favoring the rear of the model) causes many problems. The model needs more bank (and therefore more elevator and AoA) to establish proper ground track on final and poof.
You've got it nailed. Somebody tries to make the ground track look the same in wind as it does without. The results can be disastrous.

The concept is taught in primary full scale flight training world and it relates directly to us. They teach how flying a ground reference maneuver (exactly what we're doing) is effected by wind, and the resultant control inputs required. There are an almost infinite number of examples, diagrams and data that prove this.

For all the folks that believe this myth, there is preponderance of information that explains exactly what is going on & and is easily be verified through multiple sources with Google or any other search engine in seconds. Yet they can't provide ANY credible data to the contrary all the while refusing to even entertain the possibility that they may be in fact incorrect.