RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 05:51 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It will be greater because thrust is to the square of the change in velocity. The formula is F = .5 * r * A * [Ve ^2 - V0 ^2] where Ve is the air velocity downstream of the prop and V0 is the velocity upstream of the the prop. However there is a loss from drag on the prop to the square of the surface area of the prop, but the latter is a smaller number.
I'm afraid you've lost me here...I'm not familiar with any of what you're referring to. I don't understand how a formula can measure thrust. (not saying it can't...I just don's see how) Measuring thrust would seem to require a thrust testing apparatus that physically measures pull. Otherwise, how would one take into account air density differences arising from different temperatures, humidity levels and altitude? Also, the material of the prop will matter as a propeller looses a bit of it's pitch as rpms increase...especially at the tips...due to centrifugal force. Thererfore, , are we talking a nylon, wood, or carbon fiber prop, as the prop material's rigidity will affect how much pitch is lost at elevated rpm? What is the shape of the cross-section of the prop? The shape of the blades? These factors, prop pitch, diameter, blade area, and rpm being equal, will affect how much thrust is being generated.

Last edited by psgugrad; 09-09-2015 at 05:57 PM.