RCU Forums - View Single Post - This is the G5 Glow Gas Plug
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The only issue I can see is lifespan. Is it going to be like a typical glow plug......could last a week, a month, or year(s)? Compared to spark plugs that typically last years.
Unfortunately, the glow plug could last for a year or more or fail right off the bat. It depends on so many factors. Now I have experience with the P3 Turbo plug. The first plug worked for one tank of fuel and then quit. The second plug has been going for quite a while with many flights. Something like 50 flights or tanks of fuel now through the engine. I have gone through two gallons of gasoline/oil mix fuel with the engine (a NV-Engines GX40) an have a fresh gallon mixed up now for it. But that doesn't mean I ran two complete gallons through it. When the container got low, I threw it out, out of concern it might be getting stale on me. So that second glow plug has been working all that time Ok though.

So with a new engine, you can sort of expect that first plug and first engine run to trash the plug. It can be quite frustrating to not have a spare then. Probably something about "Murphy's Law" in there someplace.

Spark plugs eventually go bad, from nothing else than carbon build up over time. With some of my other engines, I was really surprised in that the spark plug and engine still ran OK even though the spark plug was all coated and gunked up with carbon deposits.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-10-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add more info