RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
This is why I never left glow ...

Too many people are losing their homes and garages due to lipo batteries.
Yeah, well, look closer. The charger is hooked up with jumper cables to a car battery; right next to a rack holding cans of spray paint. That tells me the owner of that home/arrangement isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

I'm not minimizing the potential dangers of lipo batteries; they certainly are real, and lie in wait to ambush the slow, the stupid, and those who don't pay attention to detail. Most higher-end modern chargers have safeguard circuits in place that simply won't allow you to make a connection error; they cannot prevent a fire due to a bad (shorted) battery stick or a wonky power connection.

IOW, don't re-use a crashed battery; don't use a Rube Goldberg power connection when you're at home; and don't charge your stuff around anything combustible.

Sorry, Bobby, not ranting at you; just at the increasing number of people in our hobby who should have stuck to computer games. But they are hurting themselves, others, destroying property, and giving all of us a bad name in general.

I flew glow and gas from 1986 to 2013. Then I went all-in with electrics. The learning curve should be steeper than it is; all this plug'n'play stuff makes it too easy for a total idiot to participate. I bought a good charger, good batteries, and paid a bit more for Horizon and Tower stuff, and haven't had the first issue in two years and a half-dozen models/power systems.

Interestingly enough, I recently experienced a re-kindled interest in glow. I spent most of the past week re-juvenating ti two glow models I kept; they have been sitting on a wall rack for two years. I ordered another glow ARF, and might even jump back on the two glow-powered kits I have half built and hanging on the wall.

I am not abandoning e-power, by any means. Once you figure out how to operate, its actually a lot less hassle than either glow or gasoline. But I miss the noise and the way the larger planes handle. You can get larger e-ships… just be prepared to mortgage your grandchildren to pay for the batteries. Once you get above 4S, you're talking real money; the cost increases exponentially with 5S and 6S cells. And proper chargers for them are a lot more expensive, too.

Anyway… sorry for the thread drift. I found the assertion that nitro was only intended for engine tuning rather amusing. As someone else pointed out… the drag racer dudes don't use it for that, I'm reasonably certain...