RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are smaller models getting left behind?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree... It was very interesting to watch the crowds round the stands especially when there were smaller models on show. It is not just the cost of these huge planes but also the storage problem at home and getting them to and fro to the field. Also the time it takes to assemble a large plane that has been broken down to many components. If we go flying at a local club the main size is 80-120 turbines with some smaller P20 and 44 size. If we are flying for just a morning a one piece model that does not need assembling is a bonus. for me the mini Avanti and the mini excalibur look very interesting and I would buy one or both when available. The real problem is that the manufacturers make a much greater profit in making the large models. The incentive is therefore to make ever larger more expensive planes.

Some of the planes flying were powered by 400N engines... that is getting on for 90 lbs thrust. This is crazy, and getting to UAV size. Many were flying over 200N engines which I believe is not permitted in the USA under AMA regs.

John

John