RCU Forums - View Single Post - NiMh Battery Charger Help Pleaaase
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
secret_squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will make you a deal. I will pay shipping and instead of throwing those batteries away, you ship them to me. I can't remember the exact cycle life of a NiMh but you are wasting at least 100s if not close to a thousand flights on those batteries. Look, it is your hobby though, if you are comfortable with your routine, stick with it. I know a lot of people who do what you do, to me it is just throwing money down the drain I could be spending on something I need. :-). (I need another plane/engine like I need a hole in the head )

peace.

Originally Posted by John_M_
My inlaw and I both dispose of our a123 and NiMh cells at the end of a flying season... we get about 60-70 flights a season, maybe a bit more if weather and time permits... the batteries are cheap enough now days, its not worth the hassle of predicting when good is good enough... back in the early days of NiCad's I had more memory issues causing sudden voltage drops, than I care to admit too... I was even cycling them regularly with an Abacus battery cycler... of course, A123 LiFe and NiMh don't exhibit memory issues, but I still at the end of the days flying discharge them to a safe voltage, and then slow charge them back up to storage voltage until the next weekend of flying and then hit them with a faster charge to bring them up to full capacity just before going out flying again... after 3 flights, they're charged back to a full charge again... I also vary the charge rates, just so not to get into consistent ritual of managing the batteries, mix it up keeps them alive and kicking.

John M,