RCU Forums - View Single Post - The list of all-time favorite rc airplanes.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I only see one airplane on the list I've personally owned so my view may be narrow - perhaps one of those would have become my favorite but for me, based on personal experience at this point in time, it would have to be the - kitted by Midwest Products Co. - .19-.40 size "The Hots" based on Dan Santich's original design. Yeah, the actual name of the airplane is not (a) "Hots" but (a) "The Hots". It became a widely accepted misnomer to call it a "Hots"... BTW, I call it a "Hots" too.

Part of the charm of this airplane is it's one-piece and fit beautifully in the '82 Accord hatchback with the rear seatback folded flat - the airplane could be placed in (nose pointed aft) or removed from the car with one hand holding on to nothing but a gear-leg. The LE of the wingtips rested against the seatback trim latch columns while the natural bump formed by the folded seatback acted as a wheel chock to prevent the airplane rolling fore or aft. You could be ready to fly the plane in moments upon arrival at the flying field - no assembly required at the field - likewise the same at dusk - just no hassle. The airplane did everything well - could be flown aggressively or with precision and had a wide speed range in spite of the fat airfoil - it was light but tough and was an everyday flier with very low maintenance requirements.

It's ideal complement (and favorite engine) in my opinion was the K&B .40 tilted over 45' with an Irvine Super Silencer tucked under the right wing/fuse junction, a 9.5 X 6~7? MAS prop, and K&B 1L plug running 10% Nitro that I had on it in it's best of years.

Third pic - not a "The Hots" but some mistake it for one and is posted just to show a color scheme that I would like to put on one in the future.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4581
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Hots's.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2122397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original The Hots.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2122398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG
Views:	58