RCU Forums - View Single Post - Voltage drop and the dreaded "Brownout" , What's really at fault ?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:48 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
... to put HV servos in a sport aircraft, is just a waste of money for me personally, ...
For me too.

Originally Posted by John_M_
Right but a freshly charged S2 A123 pack can be anywhere from 7.2 to 7.4 volts; sure the voltage drops as soon as the battery is under load, but its still above 6.6 volts for a good portion of its charge..

... not saying the servos couldn't handle the s2 A123 voltage under normal flying conditions, but the voltage is the push behind the current and the higher the initial voltage is, the higher the current draw will be by the device.
Here are my thoughts on that. Like you bring up, LiFePO4 packs will quickly drop to 6.6 volts. The chances are that the aircraft is still on the ground during that period with very little load on the servos, hence very little power required by the servos (power, not voltage is the problem). After that point, I am like you not driving the servos at their full rated capacity.

Do some searching on A123 and servos. I do not think I've come across any situations where people complained about problems using servos with 6 volt ratings, although some have had problems with older servos rated at 4.8 volts. Like you I started slowly but I'm in up to my neck now.

Paul